Eating is an important part of our lives. The healthy foods we eat help our body to grow, run, walk, think, move, sleep, and fight off germs. But did you know that some foods can actually hurt our bodies? Here are some tips on how to make sure you are getting enough of the foods your body needs to do its job well:
- Eat the rainbow: A fun and tasty way to make sure you are eating enough fruits and vegetables is to eat as many different colors as you can at each meal. For example, some carrots, blueberries, and red bell peppers are all different colors and are all good for your body. Help your parents the next time you go grocery shopping to pick out the most colorful fruits and vegetables. How many can you find?
- In the cafeteria: There are many options to choose from in the lunch line at school, some of them are healthier than others. Try to choose fruits and vegetables instead of French fries or chips and ask for grilled meat instead of fried. When it comes to something to drink grab some water or fat-free milk instead of soda or juice. It may be hard to make these changes, especially if your friend’s aren’t, but you will be keeping your body healthy and will feel much better!
- Instead of soda or juice, grab some water or fat-free milk
- Instead of chips or crackers, grab a piece of fruit or veggie sticks
- Instead of cookies or cake, grab a sugar free ice pop or unsweetened, fat-free yogurt