About $2.09 per serving
1 small white onion, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon thyme
½ teaspoon allspice
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (use ½ if you don’t like spicy foods)
1.25 pound pork loin or roast, visible fat removed
2 cups fat-free, low sodium beef stock
- Combine all spices in a bowl and mix well. Rub spice mixture over pork.
- Pour beef stock in slow cooker, gently add pork and onions.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
1 large mango, diced
1 tablespoon honey or agave nectar
2 tablespoons red onion, finely chopped
Juice of ½ lime
1 tablespoon chopped parsley (or 1 teaspoon dry)
- Use whole-wheat sandwich buns, corn tortillas (made without any type of hydrogenated fat or tropical oils, such as palm or coconut oil), or whole wheat pitas to make sandwiches or tacos – add pork and top with mango sauce.
- Dress to taste with sliced lettuce, cabbage, tomato, etc.
|Total Fat||7.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat ||1.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||3.0 g|
|Cholesterol ||53 mg|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|
|Added Sugars||3 g|
|Protein ||24 g|
Leftover ingredients? Use them in these recipes!
Baked Chicken Strips with Microwave Green Beans
Meatloaf with Black-Eyed Peas
Caribbean Pink Beans
Oven-Fried Chicken with Roasted Potato Wedges
Lemon Chicken and Cinnamon Glazed Root Vegetables
Chunky Marinara with Pasta & Seared Chicken
Salmon Bake with Creamy Cucumber Sauce
Creamy Spinach Feta Dip
Simple Persian Salad
Recipe copyright © 2012 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association’s Simple Cooking with Heart Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.