The Consequences of Physical Inactivity are Staggering
- More of us are overweight.
Adult (and childhood) obesity/overweight level continues to increase: 68% of all Adults are obese or overweight.
- It is more difficult today to create an active lifestyle.
People are less active due to technology and better mass transportation.
Sedentary jobs have increased 83% since 1950; Physically active jobs now make up only about 25% of our workforce. That is 50% less than 1950.
Our average work week is longer. Americans work 47 hours a week - 164 more hours a year than 20 years ago.
- Extra weight costs us physically and financially.
Obesity costs American companies $225.8B per year in health-related productivity losses.
The average healthcare cost exceeds $3,000 per person annually. An obese employee costs employer additional $460 to $2,500 in medical costs and sick days per year
The consequences and problems from our overweight society are sobering. However, we can all make changes. Here's the good news about physical activity and why moving for 30 minutes a day can change your life for the better.
Read additional statistics:
- Worksite Wellness Position Paper: (Circulation Journal 10/27/09) Recommendations for components of wellness programs, environmental modifications, regulations/policy approaches, vulnerable/special populations.
- Walking can Lower Risk of Heart-related Conditions as much as Running
This content was last reviewed on 03/22/2013.